5 Tips For Keeping Wedding Planning Stress-Free
This post was written in partnership with Jewelers Mutual, all opinions are my own
"Just trust me," he says while he goes about googling a potential florist for our wedding. Rather than release the reins, I simply defer to the obvious choice of having a good cry. He loves me, but I didn't think he understood me when I said we probably weren't going to find our dream florist via Yelp reviews. Yes, to say my stress level was high when planning our wedding is a HUGE understatement. I'm not proud to say that I was a bit of a control freak when planning up our day. If you know me, then you know that when I have a vision of something and it doesn't come to fruition, I feel defeated, which brings me to my first and most important tip!
1. Share the Process, and release the reins: I am lucky to have the most incredible husband! He stuck with me through my tears (with a glass of wine), and pretty much let me take control of planning OUR wedding. Nothing about the planning process revolves around one person! As much as you think you know best, your opinion may not be shared. Ask for your significant other's opinions or preferences even if your constantly met with, "I don't care, you choose", keep at it until you are both in agreement.
2. Know Your Budget and stick to it (from the MR.): If you can't afford it, then you probably shouldn't be looking or even considering it. It's no secret that weddings are astronomically expensive and setting a budget realistic to your lifestyle is crucial! Money can be a tricky and an awkward subject to talk about, but it needs to be done. Set out a financial road-map and total budget before booking your vendors. This will be helpful down the line when allocating funds and will also keep you on track to not go over.
3. Two Words, WEDDING PLANNER: After chatting with some of our married friends it became very clear that hiring a wedding coordinator was a huge help in keeping stress to a minimum. When it came time to hire our own I knew we wanted to work with someone who wasn't only talented, but who also was a calming force. Hailey (from Two-Roads Event Co.) was a LIFESAVER. She was always open to chatting and had a wealth of ideas and recommendations when we felt stuck or not sure what do next.
4. Stay Organized: As is true in business, spreadsheets work wonders. Keep track of finances, guest lists, and to-do's in one place. There really isn't anything worse than writing something down and forgetting where you put it. Having a spreadsheet on Google allows you to easily share with family, vendors, and yes you're significant other. I had made the mistake of writing down our guest-list in a notebook and proceeded to misplace it the following day. Luckily, I had made a digital copy, so needless to say we kept most everything online from then on out.
5. Get it Insured - Jewelry Insurance 101: Both Kevin and I are terrible at losing things and, for some reason, we always have a knack for misplacing the most expensive items. Jewelers Mutual is the expert in jewelry insurance and is quite different than your typical insurance company. If you're unsure whether or not you need insurance, it's easy enough to find out more about the process and get a free jewelry insurance quote on their website.
What are your tips for a smooth-sailing wedding planning process? Or maybe you're a bride-to-be looking for the perfect engagement ring? Share your favorite setting below!